.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


The misadventures and musings of Cecil Boze, A.K.A CaptnGutz, on life, love, the universe and everything

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life take big bites. Moderation is for monks."..........R. A. Heinlein

"Faithfulness and truth are the most sacred excellences and endowments of the human mind.".......Cicero


"You can't be wise and in love at the same time."......Bob Dylan

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
read my bio

COOKING WITH GUTZ
In the kitchen with the Captain

Since I Had My Last Cigarette

Thursday, June 10, 2004

isnt it ironic

I held forth at river city bar and grill tonight for an evening of beer and karaoke (lubricated with a wee dram of 15 yr old scotch). It may be helpful here to point out that i live in the sort of small town where you either know someone or know someone who knows them and at sometime or another you have seen most everyone somewhere.
Sitting at the bar, and looking a little out of place, was one of the local lawyers. Years ago Mike was a sort of fixture at one or another of the local watering holes, perhaps a bit more than is healthy for a professional man, but, be that as it may, he met a nice girl, got married, had babies and disappeared from the bar scene.
Lately, I have been running into Mike fairly frequently. In the afternoons at Tom Cats, where i go to read, drink Fosters, and drool (in a dignified middle-aged guy sort of way) over Laurie the art-deco bartender, and at River City on the more mellow karaoke nights.
Tonight, after I had greeted him, I remarked on the fact that after 20 some odd years of not seeing him except when I needed a lawyer, all of a sudden I was seeing him everywhere.
He looked at me and by way of explanation simply said: "The big D." I, of course, sympathized with him and spent most of the rest of the evening trying to illustrate, by stories gleaned from my own post divorce years, that life really doesn't entirely suck for the middle-aged divorced guy.
Mike handled all three of my divorces.............aint life a hoot?
I solved a "crypto-quote" in the paper a day or so ago........i cant remember who said it and i cant quote it exactly.........but the gist of it was; The difference between real life and fiction is that fiction has to make sense.
Thus endeth the entry.........

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I can't say I ever heard of a divorce lawyer who hasn't been divorced himself... did you ever see the movie Intolerable Cruelty? Kinda cute.

~Em~

3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama