.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


The misadventures and musings of Cecil Boze, A.K.A CaptnGutz, on life, love, the universe and everything

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life take big bites. Moderation is for monks."..........R. A. Heinlein

"Faithfulness and truth are the most sacred excellences and endowments of the human mind.".......Cicero


"You can't be wise and in love at the same time."......Bob Dylan

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
read my bio

COOKING WITH GUTZ
In the kitchen with the Captain

Since I Had My Last Cigarette

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Things that go bump in the night.......

Two weeks ago, at about this time of the night, my daughter showed up at my front door holding a washcloth to her face and dripping blood on her shirt. My first panic thought was that she had been in a car accident. As it turned out, she had been bitten in the face by a dog at a friend's house. No-one there was sober enough to drive her to the emergency room. She is mending well, though there was some infection, and what scarring there will be is slight.
Tonight, I watched Peter Pan with my grand-daughter.....(this is a recently released, live action version that I enthusiastically recommend .......even if you don't have a 4 year old to help you watch it). After I tucked Cheyenne into bed, I watched Master and Commander........which has to be, hands down, the best "sea movie" that I have ever seen.
(In a total aside, i still think that Russell Crowe would make the perfect James Bond........he was Richard Harris' drinking buddy fer chrissake and that has to be tough enough. Pierce Brosnon is too much of a fop to be a good James Bond but, in all fairness, he did make a great Robinson Crusoe.)
The movie over, it still wasn't quite bed-time so I digested another chunk of "The Wolves of the Calla", book five of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. About an hour later, I finally got droopy enough to attempt a bit of sleep. I battened down the hatches and crawled into bed next to my munchkin.
I had no sooner started to doze off, when I thought I heard a noise at the front door. (you knew there had to be a point to all this rambling didn't you?........but then what else is there to do at this time of the morning except think of ways to annoy the neighbors?) Wide awake, I lay in bed quietly for a few minutes. I heard it again, a thumping, scratching racket at the front door. With visions of my daughter crumpled on the front porch, feebly beating at the door with the last of her strength, flashing in my brain, I went to the door to investigate.
It was Cricket (the divorce cat). She had yet another poor little bunny rabbit cornered on the porch, playing the mind games with it that precede breaking its little neck, eating its heart and liver and leaving its gutted corpse on the doorstep for someone else to dispose of...........good Kitty.
Now I'm fucking wide awake and wound up like an eight day clock.
Thus endeth the entry............

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy, silly cats. I occasionally walk into the living room to find a bird carcass in the middle of the floor and feathers strewn all over the room. Which is almost nothing compared to the joy of finding one of the live snakes Jasmine used to bring home. I swear that feline has a death wish.

~Em~

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama