.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


The misadventures and musings of Cecil Boze, A.K.A CaptnGutz, on life, love, the universe and everything

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life take big bites. Moderation is for monks."..........R. A. Heinlein

"Faithfulness and truth are the most sacred excellences and endowments of the human mind.".......Cicero


"You can't be wise and in love at the same time."......Bob Dylan

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
read my bio

COOKING WITH GUTZ
In the kitchen with the Captain

Since I Had My Last Cigarette

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Burnt weinie sandwich............

I tried to drink all the beer in Mauckport, Indiana last night......I think I might have made a pretty good dent in the supply.

After an afternoon of holding forth with Uncle Clayton and cousin Loren I found myself, at around 10:00 pm, the last man standing. It being no fun at all to drink alone, I headed back into Corydon. I had eaten a sizable cow sandwich and fries earlier in the evening, but by the time I got back to Corydon I had a world class case of the beer munchies.
Nothing was open..............except the (shudder) White Castle.
I had been to a White Castle before.........I think it was sometime in 1965 when my Grandfather was in the V.A. hospital in Indianapolis. I remember remarking at the time that the grease on them was so thick they had the texture of a cheese burger.........without the cheese.
Time has a way of softening the memory of just how bad things really were.........and making the good times seem even better (which explains why people get back together with exes).
So I pulled in to the drive up and ordered a "sack o' sliders".........(no shit, that is what it said on the menu board) 10 bite sized little grease boogers for about five bucks. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I had them in the car and rolled up the window...........they smelled like shit. I can't really describe or quite put my finger on just what they smelled like except that it was strongly sulphurous.........and altogether fucking nasty.
I got a 20 oz coke at the hotel and ate every god-damned one of them.......'cuz I was God's own drunk, and a fearless man.
I didn't really have a hangover the next morning but I did have a generally unpleasant queaziness. Kind of a gastronomic equivalent of waking up next to an ugly naked fat chick..........an "Oh fuck, what did I eat last night?" sort of feeling.
I know now why it has been four decades since I'd last eaten at a White Castle......the full horrid force of the memory of that long ago dining trauma came back to haunt me with vivid ferocity.
I'll never get that hungry again......there are bound to be stray cats or dumpsters or roadkill that I could turn to first.

Thus endeth the entry.......

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometime over the summer I was the designated driver for my friend Alex. He was hungry so on the way back to his house we drove through Burger King. He said he woke up the next morning on his bed, fully clothed, surrounded by empty burger wrappers and fry boxes. He sent me a text message that said "what happened last night?" Hehehe.

5:18 PM  
Blogger captn said...

Emily, that's funny....I laughed out loud when I read it.
The thing that bothered me about the episode is that I'm old enough to know better than to choose food or sex partners when in my cups. *grins*
Merry Christmas Sweety.......*bisses*

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That post was actually funny ....I didnt go into lecture mode reading it. Now all ya gotta do is watch Harold and Kumar go to White Castle its a gag! love ya Cass

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama