.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


The misadventures and musings of Cecil Boze, A.K.A CaptnGutz, on life, love, the universe and everything

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life take big bites. Moderation is for monks."..........R. A. Heinlein

"Faithfulness and truth are the most sacred excellences and endowments of the human mind.".......Cicero


"You can't be wise and in love at the same time."......Bob Dylan

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
read my bio

COOKING WITH GUTZ
In the kitchen with the Captain

Since I Had My Last Cigarette

Thursday, November 04, 2004

More Summer Fun......................

Happy 1st Birthday Hallie

The Saturday following Cassie's Birthday Bash, we gathered once again at Casey's outpost for Hallie's 1st birthday........

The weather was perfect..........and the Manse was decorated to the hilt.
Balloons festooned the mailbox and the trees and the columns of the house were twined with colorful crepe.

A small crowd was gathered on the front lawn.........mostly consisting of Diane's family..........I really don't know how they feel about the internet in general, so I've generally avoided direct shots of them here.

It's the first time I'd met any of them, and they struck me as solid and good people.........different, in the sense that I believe they are a bit more traditional and straight-laced than I am, but then most people are, I suppose.
By no means do I mean that in a dismissive sense........I liked them......
but at some point I think I'd shock them. I was on my best behavior......I'm pretty sure I didn't say "fuck" even once that afternoon.

There was even an old-corps Marine in their midst whom I greeted with the traditional "Semper Fi" and swapped stories with for a time.

The birthday girl was at her cutie pie best .........little kids learn way early when they are the center of attention.





The birthday girl...........

We gnoshed on Brats and Dogs and salads in the best of Midwestern fashion and Hallie was esconced in the middle of a pile of presents. At one point Hallie headed for a rocking chair and hoisted herself into a standing position.......she's not far away from becoming a very mobile mini-screamer.
Cheyenne was in constant attendance.....she's 4 now and understood that it was Hallie's day, but she does like the spotlight.










After the presents were all opened, (and of course, Hallie had to take a little time to play with each one before the next was thrust upon her) it was time for cake.

The theme of the party was "rubber ducky" and Dianne had made Hallie a little cake all her own that was a rubber ducky in a bath-tub.....this sequence was just too precious!








"Also Cake Zarathustra"




I was right in there taking pictures, and you can imagine the scene, with everyone gathered around, praising Hallie and gushing as she tore into her cake with both hands, it was cute beyond doubt.........but, it was at this point, I could almost sense Dianne getting "antsy", see the "psychology" bubble up into her as the awareness dawned on her of an infant girl being given the highest hosannahs for stuffing herself with both hands on cake........too much Oprah and Sally Jesse had taken its toll.
That "Oh my god, what have I done??" sort of fear that she had somehow imprinted an association of approval with appetite that would haunt her girl child forever....

I wanted so much to tell her; "Dianne, darlin'..........relax."......but when a mother is aroused, a man's best course of action is simply to step aside and cover his goodies.







The cake show was swiftly brought to a close soon thereafter......

Dianne, sweety.........you're as good a Mom as any I've ever seen and I love you for it, and Casey is a good Daddy as I always knew he would be.
You guys are a great couple and good for each other, with complimenary strengths and weaknesses........and Hallie is a happy and well-adjusted little girl and always will be because of all those things.........every thing else is superfluous.
Relax..........you're doing it right, both of you.

There had been other little kids invited but again they would have had to come from pretty far away. So, in true Bozean fashion, Dianne had over-provided rather than to be caught short........(you delight me darlin').

This was a boon for Cheyenne, as she got to grab the center of attention and be the star for a while trying to pin a beak on the duck ...........(and of course rake in all the little prizes for it) and trying to break an honest to god pinata chuck full of candy............I swear, there was enough candy there to have treated every child in the little town they live near.
Cheyenne was, of course, in a four year old version of Heaven..........







The party ended soon after, Hallie went upstairs for a sugary nap, the adults ate cake and chatted.......and Casey and I managed to slip around back for a beer or two.

Another great day............another day passed into the recesses of memory.

I hate that I don't get to spend the time with Hallie that I did with Cheyenne...I'm happy that her and her parents situation provides that such is not the case.........which is a confusing and conflicting sentiment, I know. I wouldn't change a thing..........I'd likewise change everything.

Close or distant guys.........remember that I love you and I miss you........that Papa loves Hallie.

Happy belated blog birthday Hallie Bearie.........

Thus endeth the entry.........

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

O, Capitan, thanks so much for taking your readers back to the Good Ol' Summertime. It's a bit of sunshine in the post-election bleak o' night.

Peace in the 'hood,
GraceD
Dr. Laura's Worst...

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama