.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


The misadventures and musings of Cecil Boze, A.K.A CaptnGutz, on life, love, the universe and everything

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life take big bites. Moderation is for monks."..........R. A. Heinlein

"Faithfulness and truth are the most sacred excellences and endowments of the human mind.".......Cicero


"You can't be wise and in love at the same time."......Bob Dylan

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
read my bio

COOKING WITH GUTZ
In the kitchen with the Captain

Since I Had My Last Cigarette

Monday, November 15, 2004

Waiter, there's a tempest in my teacup............

Comments, questions, and speculations about my last post (both on and off the record.......i.e. email included), call for their own "observations".

I believe I'd stated, in some past entry, that I'd read,and studied blogs for about a year before I decided to publish my own.

In that time I came to some conclusions as to how I would govern myself in regards to comments............
I was certain that I would get the usual "right ons" (write ons?) and bon mots from friends and well wishers.......perhaps a gentle criticism or two.

Given that I am opinionated and a bit sarcastic at times, I was equally certain that, as I inevitably networked into the world of "those-who-know-me-not-at-all, I would also attract an occasional detractor or even a *gasp* "flamer".

Like all bloggers, I love comment........it is the one sure sign that one is being read.
Like all people, I love the nice comments people leave.........

.......but really, folks, where is the fun in saying controversial things if no one gets in your face about it a little bit? I enjoy a good difference of opinion with someone who can actually spare two neurons to rub together to start an intelligent and pertinent verbal fire..........I look forward to it. The possibility of trading barbs and witticisms with strangers and friends was one of the incentives of starting a blog........the anticipation of dialogue and contest as I slowly build up a network of readers, is among the things that make it worth the time and effort of continuing.

Among the blunders (or what I regarded to be blunders) that I saw other bloggers get drawn into, were "knee-jerk" reactions........allowing the detractor, essentially, to take over the blog, set the tone, choose the topic, and direct the debate.....in short, bait the blogger. Thereby giving them way too much credence,their words an undeserved weight and an unearned podium (my personal blog).........and power, and becoming their willing stooge or foil.
It always seemed to me the best response to such, is no response at all.

Likewise, the deletion..........
Deletion also gives the critic credence.........once people have seen the criticism you can't really erase it or pretend it never existed.

So, I determined that I would never either debate with an idiotic detractor, as though he or she were actually someone that I cared about, or regarded as worthy of being taken seriously, or delete their words.

The best way to expose an idiot, is to let their words stand and let others see that they are an idiot and tell them so.........in the same forum they have chosen to display their stupidity.

To do otherwise would be to give them importance, credibility......to let them, and anyone else who saw the criticism, know that they had gotten to you. They win!

To delete a serious and well thought out criticism, on the other hand, or to ignore it, or to attack them in a personal way such as calling them names or refusing them a podium (or both), is to show the world that you can "dish it out", but you can't take it.........that you don't have the courage of your convictions or the intelligence or the strength to back up the things you have pronounced. They win!

To become a "name caller", to resort to the argument "ad hominem"......is, in the case of the idiot, to reduce yourself to their level........
In the case of the honest critic, it is to become, yourself, the idiot...........
In either case, it is the worst response imaginable. They win!

If I deserve a slap, or have done an unintentional hurt or injustice, tell me........I'll be the first to acknowledge it, or apologize for it, if it is called for.
So, I'll always respond to a serious question raised about the opinions that I put forth here..........to a point. It is my blog, and part of its function is to serve as an outlet for my thoughts and points of view. Some things,of course, even if begun publically, are personal........and should be retired from the public arena and handled as such.

I'll never respond to a moron or a flamer...........my readers have, for the most part, proven themselves discerning, and intelligent, and articulate,.............I'll let them have their fun with him/her until he/she retires from the field bleeding.

In that context, I'll never delete a comment.........

If I am that thin skinned, I should just keep my mouth shut in public altogether.
If there is something I simply must say "out loud".......I should just get a paper diary and never, ever, under any circumstances,let anyone else see it, lest *horror of horrors, gasp*, they disagree with me.

So, sorry to disappoint all those who came to the door to see what all the commotion was about but it was a false alarm. You can relax.........

We will now resume our regular programming.........

Thus endeth the entry.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama