.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


The misadventures and musings of Cecil Boze, A.K.A CaptnGutz, on life, love, the universe and everything

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life take big bites. Moderation is for monks."..........R. A. Heinlein

"Faithfulness and truth are the most sacred excellences and endowments of the human mind.".......Cicero


"You can't be wise and in love at the same time."......Bob Dylan

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
read my bio

COOKING WITH GUTZ
In the kitchen with the Captain

Since I Had My Last Cigarette

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Perspective..........

I remember how much fun it was to play with sparklers when I was a kid.

Running around in the yard like little apeshit comets.........with tails a million miles long. Twirling them in the air, spinning around with them, dropping the spent ones in the yard, and racing back to a bottomless sack for another and another and another. The only token nod to reasonable caution being that we had to let a grown-up light them........

Last night I cringed as I watched my granddaughter running around with a piece of stiff steel wire in her hand........coated with a substance burning hot enough to weld with. The whole while holding my breath and praying that she didn't set herself on fire, or give herself a 3rd degree burn, or trip and run the fucking thing 6 inches into her head through her eyesocket...........and wondering to myself what kind of numbskull could possibly think something like that was a suitable or safe toy for a child under any concievable circumstance.

Have a Happy Independence Day.

Thus endeth the entry...........

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha... I guess sometimes being a grown-up takes a little bit of the joy out of things. Cheyenne is lucky to have a grandpa who is so concerned for her well-being.

1:02 PM  
Blogger captn said...

I suppose......
but what small bit it may take from one thing.......it gives back in greater measure in others.....
*grins*

1:38 PM  
Blogger angrygrrface said...

I never really thought about how dangerous those damned things are. Wow.

I always loved them though.

3:10 PM  
Blogger captn said...

Of course if we'd had our hair sprayed down with a combination of kerosene and gunpowder, our heads set on fire and the dogs sicced on us to chase us about the yard......we'd probably remember that as the best of times.
This is a peculiar quality of childhood memory....and probably prevents a great many more patricides and matricides than we'd be comfortable considering.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama