.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


The misadventures and musings of Cecil Boze, A.K.A CaptnGutz, on life, love, the universe and everything

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life take big bites. Moderation is for monks."..........R. A. Heinlein

"Faithfulness and truth are the most sacred excellences and endowments of the human mind.".......Cicero


"You can't be wise and in love at the same time."......Bob Dylan

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
read my bio

COOKING WITH GUTZ
In the kitchen with the Captain

Since I Had My Last Cigarette

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Buffalo Plaid Won't You Come Out Tonight............

As the old poet noted..........

"Spring has sprung,
Fall is fell...
Winter's here.....
And it's colder than usual!

The winds are picking up and we here in the central part of Illinois are promised temperatures in the teens tonight........

It's time to break out my favorite shirt, dig the Carhartt Siberian Parka out of storage, and make sure there is enough Captain Morgan and Hot Cocoa in the pantry.

I took Cheyenne to the library last night (Wednesday night) insofar as our usual night (Thursday) fell on Thanksgiving. It so happened they were having a blood drive and , being a charitable soul, I allowed them to drain a pint of my essence into a plastic baggie on the eve of the coldest fucking night of the year...(thus far, anyway)!

It's been a number of years since I've donated blood.........I'm not sure why I stopped the practice, but from the time I was first eligible to the time I quit I gave nearly two gallons. (This is no exaggeration for the sake of sarcasm.....I had one "gallon pin" and was hard at work on the second.)
At that time, just about every junkie in creation was selling blood at least once a week for the price of a fix and the only real obstacle anyone faced in giving blood was perhaps not having drawn a living breath for greater than 24 hours before donating.
Now, of course, you have to go through a battery of personal questions (among which, I'm sure I was asked if I had ever had a prostate examination from a doctor who picked his nose and whether I enjoyed it or not), and samples of the blood are taken to test for everything from blueballs to xenophobia.

All of which brings us to tonight........and the spectacle of me on the back porch, clad in flannel, peeking out from beneath the snorkle hood of a serious parka, shivering at a rate of somewhere between 350 to 400 hertz, hovering over a Weber kettle, and grilling one pound plus of reasonably dead cow just to the point that it stopped squirming around on the grill, quit mooing about the heat (I wasn't in a sympathetic mood), and didn't scream when I stabbed it with the fork to turn it over.
We're talking a dedicated effort to rebuild the red blood cells here.

So, now I am fed, re-warmed, and ready to put on one of Kevin Costner's self financed comedies....(Robin Hood.....*snicker*)to tide me over until bedtime.
I've had a nice respite from the usual pursuits today.........slept in until almost 700 am and didn't actually do much of anything. I will get together with my Son and Daughter and Grandkids Saturday and will spend much of tomorrow getting ready for that.

I bet you thought I was setting you up for some pathetic, feel-sorry-for-the-lonesome-guy-on-Thanksgiving thing here, didn't you?

What the fuck...........are you a first time reader or what?

Have a Happy Holiday, and don't take anything so seriously that it leaves you feeling fucked up.............(unless, of course, you really are fucked up, in which case either quit whining and do something to fix it or exercise a responsible Darwinism in a fashion that is not public, messy, or dangerous to others)........be kind to yourselves.

Thus endeth the entry..........

2 Comments:

Blogger angrygrrface said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I can't believe you've been updating for weeks and I haven't checked.

9:19 PM  
Blogger captn said...

Had I known that was all it took to hear from you again, Darlin'................I'd have started posting long ago.

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama